HomeFree Video TutorialsFairy School TutorialClasses

Monday, September 24, 2012

Tea Cup Tuesday-Backstamps part 2


Hello All!
Welcome to Tea Cup Tuesday with Martha of Martha's Favorites, and myself. 

Backstamps can be a source of joyful information, or a bust! 
There may not be a backstamp, or there may be one that is very hard to make out..
Or even an obscure one that there is no record of. 
Even a clear backstamp may be hard to track down a date for.
It is easiest to find references in book as well as online for some of the more well known factories,
like Paragon, Shelley, Royal Albert, Aynsley...

The McKinley Tariff Act of 1891 compelled manufacturers to put the name of their country on their wares. Some companies were already including it in their mark. The Kovel web site says that 1880 was the earliest date that a potter from England used their country name in their backstamp. It wasn't until 1915 that the term "Bone China" showed up on backstamps. There is plenty of information about stamps on this page of Kovel's web site.


This lovely green cup is my favorite fall themed cup.
The photograph does not capture how beautiful these roses are.


She has a  pretty "ring" handle that is lightly sponged with gold


Her country of origin is Austria and this stamp was in use from 1880 - 1925.
In 1925 Czechoslovakia became a country and you would see that name with the word Carlsbad until 1939.

Impressed and Incised Marks
The two tea cups below are favorites of mine for hot chocolate...
Why? Because they are extra large tea cups!
More room for marshmallows!


I purchased the one above in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, Canada about 10 years ago.
(I seem to have forgotten to show the saucers as well!)


And this lovely cup was purchased in California about the same time. 
 These cups are two examples of marks on china...
Impressed and Incised.


This backstamp belongs to the first cup with the Chinese theme.
It is a raised Impressed mark, and says Churchill, England.


The second cup with the pastoral scene just says "England".
It looks like it was scratched in carefully with a thin instrument...some of the edges are rough but you can not see that in the image, and this is called an Incised mark.
(but I could be wrong, it could be impressed as well!)
I do not have any better examples in my own collection, but I would say that a average looking incised mark might be a hand written name. It is easier to tell it was scratched in. 
 
 Last week I had a question as to why some china does not have a makers mark and here are some very helpful comments to answer my question:

 "As to the lack of maker's mark, I think that sometimes, when they were part of a set, only the serving pieces - teapot,sugar bowl, creamer - would bear a mark.
It could be the case here..."

  "I think there are some possibilities why this cup is not marked. I don't think its mass production. Then they wouldn't paint the gold rim by hand and add a painters mark. So maybe the cup was made in order of a sale company from an well known producer, who did not want to be named."

 "Often, they just had the generic backstamps because they were made by a small potter, made for another business or more frequently, the plain names were used on seconds china. The number isn't always the pattern...sometimes it's a gilder or decorators number, and sometimes a mold number. Depends on the individual pottery. It certainly can be confusing!!!"

 Thank you ladies for sharing your expertise with us all!

The fall has brought cooler temperatures here, 
Air feels fresher!
Apples and pumpkins abound at the market!
Doesn't it feel good?
: )

Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit. 
I will pop round and return the favor soon!
I love reading all your comments and visiting your place as well.

Hugs,
Terri

Link up your tea cup post  below!
Yay!

 




34 comments:

Sweet Pea said...

Yes, I think I would agree with Maria Andrade, I have 3 Johnson Bros dinner sets and while the plates have a host of information on them, the cups, jugs, etc, more often than not have nothing more than "MADE IN ENGLAND". Thanks again Terri, on this valuable information you're providing about back stamping. I love the history behind all these beautiful pieces.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Terri,
your collection contains so many individuell and special cups. It is very interesting for me to see the different marks. They tell a lot of history sometimes. The Carlsbad cup is beautiful and really rare. Love the lush green with yellow roses and the sprinkled gold. Your photos are always amazing as they focus clear the parts you are talking about. Love that! I hope your search for the makers will be successfull. Thank you for sharing this interesting collection and for hosting this event. I am alway proud when I can attend this great party.
Best greetings, Johanna

Dorthe said...

Just so beautiful,Terri-
your rose cup is a most wonderful coloured piece and the English china cups, I also adore, and try to collect whenever finding one.
Wishing you a lovely week,dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

Ruthie Miller said...

So interesting, Terri. I love learning about this. Questions always arise. Now I know who to come to>:)
Perhaps I should put that book on my wish list.
Gorgeous first cup. I always like to think of the person who's job it was to create those items and decorate them. I imagine it was a very satisfying job to have.
All the best, Ruthie
http://www.ladybstimefortea.blogspot.com

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Hello Terri! The teacups are lovely as always and very creative photos with an apple.
Your posts are very interesting, I am learning a lot from you. And what a coincidence! Yesterday I had to do a research on line to find the word to describe my backstamp. First I thought it was Impressed but then I realized it was Incised (I don't know the exact words in Spanish yet...) and I was very happy when I read your post today, I think I wrote correctly then! I haven't include a photo in the post because the backstamp is too little, very difficult to see even in person.
A big hug from Argentina! Silvina

♥ Miss Tea said...

Oh ! i miss tea time tuesday as i've been away for a holiday...so in love with your fall themed teacup, it's stunning! thank you for sharing the useful info about back stamping. love to read the history/orgin of all these teacups!

wishing you a lovely day!

Susan

Clara said...

Hi Terri!
Your teacups are so pretty and thank you for sharing the information.
~Clara

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Terri,
Another informative tea post, thank you! As much as I love the first teacup, I am loving the red transferware. Thanks for sharing and Happy Autumn!

Blessings,
Sandi

highheeledlife said...

Terri, gorgeous teacups! I'm truly swooning over your first one..wonderful and unique!! Happy Teatime xo HHL

sharon said...

I am amazed at your vast wealth of knowledge about this subject, and your truly beautiful collection! Your photography is beautiful also also Terri!

Antiques And Teacups said...

I love your Austrian set. So pretty! Marks is such a fun study, isn't it? I have been doing it for almost 30 years, and still am surprised at times, and am still finding things I don't know...and I specialize in just English china! A lifelong occupation/obsession/hobby indeed!
Ruth

CEO Lisa Anne - L.A said...

Hi Terri,
Your teacups are beautiful! I love the apples in the background...so creative! I love all the autumn decor...everyone is decorating with apples & pumpkins! Thanks for sharing your information about your teacups. Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Lisa

Beth in NEPA said...

Terri, thanks for the information about marks. We are all learning so much about the wonderful world of teacups.
Another reason there might be no marks is because some companies used paper stickers and over time they have washed off and are therefore long gone. I think the Japan ones are notorious for that.
Beth

Anonymous said...

I always love coming by here to see your sweet tea collections. The only problem I'm having is that I don't have any new tea cups to showcase. I've stopped collecting, if you can believe that....for lack of space around here...and my personal tastes have changed....when I find a gold and white or silver and white tea cup...I buy it! I'm so in love with them right now. My pretty pink floral tea cups are all boxed and put away, saving them for my daughter some day, or I might just part with them eventually.

Anyhow..I shared my Crochet tea cup, it's a new one, not the same as last time....please let me know if it's alright to link up. I don't want to ruin your party. I'm number 15 on the link list, I believe. I've also linked my post back to your blog....but remove me if you wish. I will still love and adore you.

Your photos are stunningly clear, Terri...I just had to tell you that. Besides the beauty of your cups, it's your photos that keep me coming back here for all the eye candy!


ciao bella
Creative Carmelina

Sylvia said...

Your green cup is indeed very pretty but I can not think of how it could be more beautiful. The roses are so soft and pretty, I too love it!

Unknown said...

Hi Terri, I love that green teacup, what a beauty, I hope you can get by for another visit, I have your beautiful flag posted that you sent me. Thank you so much, Hugs Marilou

Stephanie said...

Beautiful teacups...I absolutely LOVE the first one. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Two Cottages And Tea said...

Love your teacups! The first one is really special! Your pink transferware cups are lovely too! I've been to Sault St. Marie quite a few time as we live about three hours away and my grandsons play hockey their quite often. Thank you so much for hosting and also I am learning so much about the marks on the cups. So interesting!
Nancy

Maria Andrade said...

Hi Terri,
You know how I appreciate the kind of information you're sharing here.
I myself find it hard to tell the difference between impressed and incised marks, but like you I imagine that in incised ones the lines of the characters are thinner.
Have you noticed that in Kovel's list of countries one of the earliest to include the country of origin in backstamps was Portugal(1853)? And they must refer to Vista Alegre porcelain factory...
As to your china, it's very special, as usual, and my favourite is that delicate Carlsbad cup and saucer.Really beautiful and fit for Autumn!
Thanks for hosting.
Hugs

Zaa said...

Dear Terri ..
Your cups are so lovely and different from one another ...Thanks for haring all this wonderful information about the back stamps...It's so very enlightening.

Love that dazzling green china cup ..It really endears one to sip....Enjoy your day, Lovely Lady.
Hugs

Donna Heber said...

Hi Terri,

I enjoyed your post today and all the information you provided about the backstamps. Your rose teacup is beautiful. Thank you for hosting and have a great week.

Micupoftea said...

Hello Terri :)
I always come away wiser from your informative posts! Lovely photos...how charming to use apples in the pics! Enjoy the end of September,
Shawn

Flora said...

Very useful this post too: I'm just running to check if I have a cup with logo imprinted or engraved but I found none...
Very true that the cups for the chocolate must to be BIG :-)
I love your Carlsbad :-)
Mini hugs
Flora

The Charm of Home said...

Your header and that first teacup are gorgeous! Thank you for hosting!
Sherry

Gram said...

I love this tea cup! So beautiful!

Linda Kunsman said...

Very interesting post Terri.And I must say that of the teacups of yours I've seen so far I think this is my favorite-just gorgeous!!

Bookie said...

Your cups are lovely; that Red Willow caught my eye!

Thank you for commenting on my blog. The little clown teapot only has Made by Leonardo on the bottom and a warning not to use with food. Hum, a fake tea pot to use true users! :) I found this much out about the company: line of porcelain ware and giftware sold by Lesser & Pavey, one of the U.K.’s largest importers and distributors of gift-ware.

Creative Grammie said...

Beautiful cups as always Teri! I also love the knowledge that you've shared with us all. That's why I try to visit your blog when I steal the time to do so.
Hugs...
Wayna (aka Creativegrammie)

Lady Linda said...

Hi Terri, thanks for the continuing lessons on the marks. I really enjoy the info.
Pretty teacups too.
Linda

Marjanne said...

I love the first green cup... so beautiful! Have a beautiful sunny sunday!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Hello Terri
thanks for the well wishes. Doing much better.
That green teacup is gorgeous. the colors are unreal.
I hope you are doing well. Enjoy the fall m'dear! :)

Victoria said...

Hi Terri..beautiful! What a delightful post..super gorgeous cups!!Wonderfully sweet!
Wishing you a fab day!
Victoria

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]IhabaCGvlUjOJpfA[/url] - EAndSRSqpI , http://yuxeflk.com

Anonymous said...

you must read egwYfxHF [URL=http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/ - faux designer handbags[/URL - online LWDPQjFn [URL=http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/ - http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/ [/URL -

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...